Bring the restaurant to your house with this Panko and Almond Crusted Chicken Sandwich with Sautéed Onions, Arugula and Goat Cheese!
Do you love a good chicken sandwich? It’s my favorite thing to order from a restaurant and with these homemade versions you can make them easily when the craving strikes.
Speaking of cravings, getting food on the table day after day is quite challenging whether you have a family of 2, 6 or 8.
Back-to-school activities are in full force and sometimes food has to be more portable- sandwiches are the perfect thing! You can easily wrap this to go and if the kids don’t like the toppings, you can keep it simple with ketchup and pickles.
Panko Chicken Sandwiches are made from a mix of panko breadcrumbs (you can find these gluten free) and almond flour, plus some spices, pan-fried until golden brown and topped with onions and creamy goat cheese. To make these sandwiches gluten free, you can buy gluten free panko breadcrumbs and use gluten free buns.
If you are looking to up your meal planning game, you have options. One would be to set aside a few hours over the weekend to prep your meals. That could mean making a freezer meal like soup, chili or a casserole or just prepping ingredients for your recipes.
Another method which is what I do is a simple meal planning session over the weekend. This guides me through the week and helps me organize my grocery list. I don’t assign a meal to a specific day of the week, but rather plan for 4 meals with the hopes of one night of leftovers. Weekends are off as that allows for dinners out or with family.
Interesting in more meal planning tips? Follow along my Instagram stories @nutritiouseats to see what I am making week after week.
Looking for some other portable meals? Check out these recipes:
Items used in making this recipe:
- A good cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet is all you need. You can also prep your onions in a smaller skillet such as these:
Tag @nutritiouseats on Instagram if you make these or any of my recipes!
Panko Chicken Sandwich with Caramelized Onions, Arugula and Goat Cheese
Author: Melanie F. | Nutritious Eats
- 2 large chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise (so you'll end up with 4 flatter pieces)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 4 Kaiser rolls or hamburger bun (optional: use the same skillet you used to cook the onions, add a small pat of butter or oil and place the buns cut side down for a minute or until browned)
- For the breading:
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- To cook onions, place a skillet over medium heat and add one tablespoon olive oil. Add sliced red onions and saute for ~10 minutes or until onions are lightly browned and cooked down.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mix panko, almond flour, salt, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Dredge chicken breast pieces in panko mixture. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. After it's hot, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and half tablespoon butter. Add chicken and cook for ~10 minutes flipping once half way through. You want a golden brown color on each side. If using a smaller skillet, cook chicken in 2 batches.
- To assemble sandwich: place a chicken breast on each sandwich, top with some caramelized onions, ½ cup arugula and 1 ounce of crumbled goat cheese.
This post contains affiliate links.