This is the best Veggie Bagel Sandwich- loaded with hummus, cream cheese and all the veggies you can fit! Delicious for a lunch or poolside dinner!
Bagel sandwiches bring me right back to the collage years, when people actually ate bagels. Gosh I miss those days!
My favorite was always the veggie bagel sandwich on an Everything Bagel, typically from Einstein’s Bagels, with the veggie cream cheese (basically a cream cheese with chives) and all the fresh veggies they had. I LOVED this sandwich.
I don’t eat bagels a ton, but I have found a new to me gluten free bagel that I love from Trader Joe’s so I have them on hand more often now.
When lent Friday rolls around, I crave a good veggie sandwich and why not put it on a perfectly toasted Everything Bagel?
I added an extra layer of goodness with a spicy avocado hummus (also from Trader Joe’s). There are plenty of brands that are similar, like Hope hummus….or just pick which ever hummus you like best to layer on this sandwich.
So much good stuff…..
I like to add a pinch of black pepper to my veggies, then top the arugula with drizzle of olive oil.
I just love the chive cream cheese on this, but you could sub any type and vegan cream cheese if you are vegan. On a non-vegetarian day, I will have to say that some thick cut bacon would be delicious on this too (uh, yeah making that happen real soon)!
Here are the veggies I like but you sub your favorites: cucumber, red onion, tomato, bell pepper, arugula, avocado. I love Havarti cheese, but you could do Provolone, Pepper Jack, Munster….anything really!
This sandwich is super satisfying. I devoured half after I made them and then saved the other half for the next day- they are great leftover too!
So what are you waiting for? We are coming up on summer months of no heat cooking and these will be perfect to add to the rotation!
Looking for other sandwiches?
If you make this or any recipes from my site, I’d love for you to tag me on Instagram or in IG stories so I can feature you!
Best Veggie Bagel
Author: Melanie F. | Nutritious Eats
- 2 Everything Bagels, toasted (I used Trader Joe’s gluten free)
- 3 tablespoons chive cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons hummus (I used TJ Spicy Avocado Hummus)
- 2 slices Havarti cheese (Munster is a good sub)
- 4 large slices tomatoes
- 8 slices cucumbers
- 4 thinly sliced red onions
- 4 thinly slices yellow bell pepper
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ⅔ cup arugula
- drizzle of olive oil
- pinch of pepper
- Toast bagel and spread ~1½ tablespoons of cream cheese on one side and ~1½ tablespoons hummus on the other side. Repeat with second bagel. Start layering the veggies: tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado slices, then a slice of cheese, top that with the arugula and a drizzle of olive oil. On the other bagel half layer the red onion and bell pepper. Combine your two halves. Slice in half and enjoy!
There is no magic to the layering order, but this is just the way I did it and it all stayed put.