If you want the flavor of a Gyro Pita Sandwich but a simpler at-home method, try this Gyro Meatloaf Pita Sandwich with Tzatziki sauce.
Growing up in San Antonio, my favorite place to eat was this Greek restaurant called Demo’s. It was definitely a childhood favorite.
My Grandparents are both Greek so I have an affinity towards Mediterranean flavors. I would get the gyro pita sandwich and devour it, as the cool Tzatziki sauce dripped down my fingers (it was always a messy eat, but so so yummy).
The thing is, if you search for gyro recipes you will find there is a certain process to it, including putting all the meat in your food processor, using a water bath, putting weights on the meat and other particular methods. I decided it wasn’t worth all that effort because cleaning meat out of my food processor just seems WRONG.
So my mom shared this version with us and my husband actually prefers it to gyro meat! Consider it a Mediterranean style meatloaf. It’s pretty simple…a blend of beef and lamb, onion & garlic, some bread crumbs, egg and seasoning! Just like meatloaf but different flavors.
Pack it all into a loaf pan and bake it on a lower temp for almost an hour.
I have this yummy Tzatziki recipe here but the Cedar Leaf brand which I can find at my local grocery store is also delicious so that is what I have been using if I don’t have time to make it myself.
Look for a soft pita bread, I usually go with whole wheat. You could also serve the meat with a side of roasted potatoes or oven baked fries and veggies if you didn’t want to make the sandwich.
Looks easy enough, right? If you like gyro sandwiches, I think you’ll like the flavors here. It is NOT the same as the thin crispy gryo meat, but there are other recipes out there if that is what you are looking for.
Notes about making this:
- I highly recommend using lamb and beef to get that gyro flavor.
- Tzatziki sauce is a must unless you are dairy-free of course.
- Allow ample time to make this. It’s not difficult but it needs a good hour to bake and another half hour to rest. You can even do more in advance which helps the slices hold together better.
- It’s moist like a meatloaf, so checking doneness is challenging if you don’t have a thermometer.
- If you are gluten free and can’t find gluten free breadcrumbs, substitute ground oats.
Looking for other Mediterranean flavors? Try:
Baked Gyro Meat
Author: Melanie F. | Nutritious Eats
Recipe type: Sandwich
- 1 lb ground beef (I use 90/10)
- 1 lb ground lamb
- ½ yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon Majoram (can sub ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pita bread (6-8)
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced (white onion is fine too)
- Serve with homemade Tzatziki sauce (recipe to follow) or look for Cedar Leaf brand:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, whole or 2% best
- ½ cup grated English cucumber, skin on
- 2 teaspoons minced or grated garlic (~1 large clove)
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a mini food prep, add the garlic and onion chunks. Process until finely chopped.
- In a medium bowl add meat, onion/garlic mixture, breadcrumbs, egg and all spices. Using a potato masher gently work the mixture together until well combined.
- Line a 9×5 loaf pan with foil. Transfer meat mixture to loaf pan and pat down using a rubber spatula.
- (if you have time, let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for 30+ minutes).
- Bake loaf for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until temperature reaches 165 degrees. Let meat sit for 20-30 minutes before slicing (the longer it sits, the more it has a chance to hold together). When ready, sliced meat loaf in the pan, then take entire foil pack out to serve slices.
- To make the Tzatziki sauce: Prepare cucumber by wrapping it in a paper towel and squeezing the liquid out of it.
- Combine all other ingredients in a bowl, stir in cucumber. Taste and season with additional salt if needed. Can make this a day ahead.
- To assemble pita, place 1-2 slices of gyro meatloaf on top, add tomato slices, red onion slices and Tzatziki sauce, fold up and enjoy!
I recommend making the meat mixture in advance. Give yourself enough time to bake and let it rest before cutting.